Sarah Nelsen Designs is a boutique design studio with a focus on branding, problem solving, and storytelling realized through creative, engaging graphic design solutions.
Thanks for visiting. Here’s a little window into who I am…Woven through each strand of my identity, is my steady, life-giving heartbeat for inspired, bold visual communication. I am motivated by people and their stories.
The creative arts is in my bones. Educationally, I’m armed with a BA in graphic design & integrative arts from Penn State University and a handful of Masters courses in sustainable design from Minneapolis College of Art and Design. I’ve owned and lead this boutique graphic design studio for 15 years. Over the last year, I’ve also been founding a socially conscious, therapeutic art initiative for mental health and wellness, Atlas Art Press (atlasartpress.com).
I’ve called the mountains of the West (Jackson Hole, Wyoming) and the deserts of the West coast (Palm Springs, California) home, but I’m currently settled in the hills of the Mid-east (Pittsburgh, PA). Studying abroad in eastern Australia was a memory of wild adventures, foreigner friends, and a new perspective from the other side of the earth. The richness, simplicity, and rejuvenating qualities of natural outdoor spaces inspired me tremendously. Hiking or paddle-boarding with my daughters, husband, and two rescue pups is where you can find me when the sun comes out. It is here in Pittsburgh, I grew up, left, and returned.
My husband, our two daughters, and the crazy, big world around us fuel my creativity and teach me what love really is. Our two big, loud, and wild rescue pups keep me on my toes and on top of my mess-cleaning game.
Our simple, fixer-upper home just north of Pittsburgh keeps us always trying to find some light and smiles in the clouds, rainy days, and sawdust
Sarah Teresa Nelsen, Creative Director, Owner
HONORS & AWARDS
- Art Director and Solo Photographer for event “Blue Gold & Black” which won three awards: 2010 CASE (Council for Advancement and Support of Education) Accolades Bronze, 2009 IABC Golden Triangle Honor, 2010 PRSA Renaissance Award
- PRSA Renaissance Award Creative Tactic, Other: Calendar (’11)
- IABC Golden Triangle Award, Magazine Design (’10)
- IABC Golden Triangle Award, Other Publication Design (’10)
- PRSA Renaissance Award Creative Tactic, Direct Mail: Invitation (’10)
- PRSA Merit AwardCreative Tactic, Other: Event Display (’10)
- IABC Golden Triangle Award Excellence, Event Display (’09)
- IABC Golden Triangle Award Honor, Invitation (’09)
- MPMA Award for Excellence in Publication Design: Development Materials (’08)
- MPMA Award for Excellence in Publication Design: Brochures (’07)
- MPMA Award for Excellence in Publication Design: Invitations and Promotions (’07)
- MPMA Special Judges Award for Excellence in Overall Design (’06)
- MPMA Award for Excellence in Publication Design: Invitations and Promotions (’05)
- MPMA Award for Excellence in Publication Design: Brochures (’05)
- Art teacher, workshop leader, and curriculum developer for Atlas Art Press art for mental wellness programs including Light of Life Rescue Mission, Passavant Hospital Foundation, Cribs for Kids, Highmark Caring Place, and Ridgeview Rehabilitation Center.